Thursday, August 2, 2018

Meet our 2018 Sponsor: Deeper Roots




One of the things I most enjoy about Genealogy Journeys is that I learn about so many different perspectives, products, and services of and from our sponsors. Recently, Sara Cochran had a chance to visit with our sponsor, Deeper Roots, and its owner, KC Reid. I think you will find KC's approach to family history, both teaching it and becoming a working part of it, unique and fun to read. Check out their interview, below:


QUESTION: KC, Welcome to Genealogy Journeys! We are thrilled to have you as a sponsor and are excited to have an opportunity to get to know you a little better.  When did you first become interested in family history?
ANSWER:  My mom was pretty sneaky – she would tell me stories that were relevant to something I was doing or learning as a kid.  For instance, when I had to invent something for a 6th-grade project, my mother tossed out the little tidbit that my great uncle had been one of Thomas Edison’s assistants. When my invention was a complete flop, I took solace in the fact that at least one person in my family had success in that area! 
She would do that for other things, too, like tell me about my grandfather’s childhood during the Great Depression when I was studying economics, or about ancestors who had fought in a war when I studied history. She gave me an incredible gift, which I didn’t realize or appreciate till I was an adult myself – she gave me a personal connection to the material, making it more meaningful and more memorable for me. And at the same time, she taught me about her ancestors. I’m pretty sure it is her fault that I love helping clients understand what their ancestors’ lives were like! (Love you, Mom!)

QUESTION: Your website really focuses on the importance of finding the legacy our ancestors left behind so that we can understand the impact that it made on the people around them – and even on living generations. I couldn’t agree with you more. Would you tell us about a particularly memorable ancestor you learned about and how it tied the past to the present?
ANSWER: One of my clients had an extremely rough childhood – she petitioned for and received emancipation as a teen and was legally adopted by her best friend’s parents. Her main question was “what kind of families could have created parents like mine?”  I discovered her ancestors were pillars in their community – hugely involved in community projects to improve agriculture and farming, lots of volunteer work with organizations like the Salvation Army, and so on. They had devoted their entire lives to service.  So when I handed her the research, I said, “I think you will be surprised by your people.” 
She stopped in mid-stride with her mouth open. She looked at me with a quizzical expression, and said “Wait, I have people?  I never thought that I had people.”  When she realized she had good, honorable, loving people as her ancestors, suddenly a hole was filled in her heart – a hole she had not realized until that moment was there.  It was such a moving and humbling experience for me, to be able to help her make that connection, to fill a void, and enrich her life.
While all our experiences may not be so dramatic, there is something fulfilling, completing, about finding out who are people are. I have experienced it for myself, and I love helping others to feel that, too.    

QUESTION: Sort of on the subject of tying the past to the present, how about the future?  Your brochure mentions interviews and preserving family memories for the next generations. What are some of the methods you use to make sure your clients leave a legacy their family will treasure and share?
ANSWER:  One key is making a physical product.  How many of us have all our pictures in digital format and never actually look at them?  Having a tangible item – usually a book – to hold, that you can take with you to the comfy sofa to look at with grandchildren or nieces and nephews, is a much better way to create memories for them than staring at a screen. One thing people often forget is that layout can be just as important in creating a connection as the information on the page.
Another thing that helps our family stories to resonate with others is the story. I love crafting that story by mixing interviews with vignettes on the social practices of the time, photos, and descriptions of how a particular ancestor participated in historical events. 
Tying the ancestor stories to an enduring family interest transforms information into meaningful connection. One rather artistically gifted client asked me to make a book for her mother, who was an art history professor.  I created profiles of artists and their works from towns that featured in the families’ history – a teeny town in Russia, Boston, and Baltimore – and created a timeline along the bottom of key pages showing how the family’s life experiences overlapped with developments in the art world. This helps the family feel closer to their ancestors because it ties in with other things that have meaning for them.  It’s almost like helping them to get to know each other as friends.

QUESTION: I also noticed that you are able to help plan a trip to an ancestral homeland.  If one of our readers was interested in visiting one of these and asked for your help, what could they expect? Say for instance, they wanted to visit places in Georgia associated with their ancestors and understand their life and experience there during the Civil War.
ANSWER:  Add a family trip or vacation to that heirloom book we just mentioned, and you’ll really capture the interest of the younger generations.  These kinds of projects are so much fun!  I was a travel agent while I was in college, and I still love travel – it is such an enriching experience.  
This is just the type of Trace and Travel requests I get – I’m planning a trip to go somewhere and want to visit places relevant to my ancestors. For this Georgian Civil War example, stops along the way would probably include homesteads that still exist, war museums and battlefields of course, and landmarks related to battles your ancestors participated in.  There may be historical festivals, cemeteries or churches, Civil War reenactments to participate in or watch… For one client, I found a book published locally that contained their family in it and recommended a stop at that tiny book store to purchase a copy. I have even give meal recommendations because the eatery provides some unique context for the ancestor!   
For each stop on the itinerary, I include how it relates to the ancestor(s), formatted in such a way that you can take it out while you are there on site and read about your ancestor’s experience there. I also include hours of operation, contact information, and sometimes even a recommended time of day to visit each place if it means you’ll be able to catch a demonstration or special event.  If it is a by-appointment-only type of affair, I’ll provide information for that possible experience as well. 

QUESTION: Many of our readers are, as you probably expect, genealogists themselves and enjoy the research process, which is why your service of getting help designing a research plan caught my eye.  When you work with a client on creating a plan, do you only work with research in progress, reviewing what they’ve done so far and offer suggestions of where to look next? Or do you also teach the process of creating a research plan?
ANSWER:  Yes and yes!  I find that people learn better when they can apply what they learn to something that already has their interest.  In that regard, having research in the works will make it easier to learn for most people, and it is easier for me to develop specific recommendations. But you don’t have to have a specific project to learn how to build a research plan. How to create a research plan is also something I can help our fellow genealogists learn.

QUESTION: I’m sure some of our readers would like to know how to get in touch with you. Aside from your website at http://www.FindDeeperRoots.com/, how might they get in touch? Or is that the best way to reach you?
ANSWER:  My website is a great place to go – you can use the form to email me, email me directly, or even just call my cell phone.  It’s all there along with links to my blog, Facebook, and Pinterest accounts.  If you lose the website, just Google me – KC Reid family – and I’ll come right up.  If you call and get my voicemail please leave me a message - I’d love to hear from you!


No comments:

Post a Comment